June 28, 2016, Canton, MI – The Canton Fire Department would like to caution the public on the increased risk of fire danger due to the dry conditions our area is experiencing.
“With the upcoming holiday weekend, residents should take extra precautions when using items such as charcoal grills, outdoor fire pits, and fireworks,” says Deputy Fire Chief Chris Stoecklein. “Fires can easily start and will spread rapidly, due to the dry outdoor conditions,” he adds.
This past Saturday the fire department responded to two structure fires, one of them being at the clubhouse of Meadowood Townhomes on Haggerty Road. The fire is believed to have been started by a cigarette that was discarded in the landscaping mulch. The mulch most likely smoldered for a bit and then a fire ignited, quickly spreading to the clubhouse building causing an estimated $150,000 in damages.
“I cannot stress enough the importance of having working smoke detectors in your home,” says Stoecklein. “Unfortunately, residents do not have the same opportunity to be alerted to fires starting outdoors, and often they go undetected until the fire is causing significant damage to property,” he adds.
Precautionary fire safety tips to enjoy outdoor activities include:
• Charcoal grills should be started with intended lighter fluid only; never add fluid once a fire is going
• Place grills at a safe distance from lawn games, play areas and foot traffic
• Keep children and pets at least three feet from any flame
• Ensure all flames are fully extinguished with water before leaving the area
• Hot grill coals should be cooled and doused with water before discarding
• Dispose of cigarettes in a designated fire-safe container
• Fireworks should be left to professionals
Additional questions regarding ordinances specific to fireworks and fire pit use in Canton should be directed to the Fire Prevention Unit at 734/394-5456.