In recognition of these essential functions as important economic drivers inspiring tourism, supporting jobs and improving health for the residents of and visitors to our state, mParks honored 22 parks and recreation professionals, agencies, advocates and legislators with Michigan Recreation and Park Awards, which were presented at the 2016 mParks conference on Thursday, February 18, 2016, in Acme, MI.
This year, Canton Leisure Services received the following two mParks awards: ‘Excellence in Therapeutic Recreation Programming Award’ for Canton’s Camp Leisure Club, as well as a ‘Special Brochure Award’ for the Canton Farmers Market’s seasonal brochure.
"This recognition is further proof of Canton Leisure Services' dedication to quality programs and events,” said Canton Leisure Services Director Debra Bilbrey-Honsowetz. “Canton residents are fortunate to have access to these award-winning programs in our community, as well as year-round recreation opportunities, health and wellness classes and activities, fine arts and cultural programs, family-friendly community events and more."
Below is a list of the honorees, who received 2015-16 Michigan Recreation and Park Awards recognizing them for their contributions to the parks and recreation industry.
2016 mParks Individual Award Winners:
• Commitment to Excellence Award (to be announced at mParks 2016 Conference) - Presented to an individual who displays outstanding commitment to the parks and recreation profession and exemplary contributions to mParks.
• Fellowship Award
o Dan Stencil, CPRE, Oakland County Parks & Recreation
• Local Elected Official of the Year Award-Karen Miller, Davison Twp.
• Media Advocate Award - Aftab Borka, The Oakland Press
• New Professional Award -Tami Letcavage, Clinton Township Parks & Recreation
• Park Resource Leadership Award-Matthew Sharp, CPRP, St. Clair County Parks & Recreation
• Recreation Leadership Award-Chad Stevens, CPRP, DeWitt Area Recreation Authority
• State Elected Official of the Year Award-Representative Kathy Crawford, District 38
• Special Award-Faye Nelson, Detroit Riverfront Conservancy, DTE Foundation
2016 mParks Agency Award Winners (winning project):
• Grand Award (to be announced at mParks 2016 Conference)-Presented to an organization or individual providing outstanding leadership, service, education and support to public recreation.
• Innovative Programming Award-City of Troy Parks and Recreation (Glow Night); Saline Parks & Recreation (Mini Mastodon); City of Kalamazoo Parks and Recreation (Lunchtime Live); Oakland County Parks and Recreation (The Annual Butterfly Parade); and Saline Parks & Recreation (Marvelous Michigan Week)
• Innovative Park Resource Award-West Bloomfield Parks and Recreation Commission (Trail Bollard Renovation)
• Excellence in Therapeutic Recreation Programming Award-Canton Leisure Services (Camp Leisure Club)
• Facility Design Award-Lansing Parks & Recreation (Beacon Soccer Fields)-Farmington Hills Special Services (Riley Archery Range); Michigan Department of Natural Resources (Outdoor Adventure Center)
• Park Design Award-Novi Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services (Kids Single Mountain Bike Trail)
• Integrated Marketing Campaign Award-Oakland County Parks and Recreation (Waterpark Season Pass)
• Seasonal Brochure Award-Davison Township Parks and Recreation (2015 Fall Guide)
• Special Brochure Award-Canton Leisure Services (Canton Farmers Market Brochure)
• Video Award-Oakland County Parks and Recreation (By the Numbers)
• Website Award-City of Kalamazoo Parks and Recreation (www.kzooparks.org)
“Over the years, mParks members, professionals and partners have made a tremendous impact on quality of life through parks and recreation,” said mParks Chief Operating Officer Ann Conklin, “the award winners and the entire industry truly make an important difference in the lives of Michigan residents and visitors.”
mParks is the statewide professional association for Michigan’s parks and recreation industry, committed to educating and inspiring a diverse membership of 2,000+ parks and recreation professionals, agencies, advocates and vendors. mParks also serves as the voice for the industry, promoting and advocating for parks and recreation as an invaluable resource for community, economy and public health. Learn more about mParks at www.mparks.org.
Since 2004, Canton Leisure Services has been accredited by the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA), which recognizes park and recreation agencies for excellence in operation and service. Currently there are 143 CAPRA accredited agencies in the United States. Canton Leisure Services was also recognized as the 2008 winner of the National Recreation and Parks Association Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management.
For more information about Canton’s award-winning programs and other Canton Leisure Services classes, programs and events, please visit www.cantonfun.org or call 734/394-5460.