Property taxes are levied on your taxable value, which is issued by the Assessor's Office every February. Property taxes are mailed out twice a year on July 1st, and December 1st. No tax payments are accepted after February 28. Tax payments after February 28 are made payable only to the Wayne County Treasurer.
|September 15 through September 30||1%|
|October 1 through October 30||2%|
|November 1 through November 30||3%|
|December 1 through December 31||4%|
|January 1 through January 31||5%|
|February 1 through February 14||6%|
Paying Your Property Taxes
There are various ways to pay your property taxes, including:
- At our 24-hour drop box: Our drop box is located outside the main entrance of the Canton Township Administration building. Please be sure to include the bill number or the property tax ID number on your check so that we may be sure to credit the right property. Please do not submit cash through the drop box.
- At the window: We are open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- By mail: Send your check / money order to:
Canton Township Treasurer
P.O. Box 87010
Canton, MI 48187
- Online Tax Payment
We accept cash, personal checks, bank checks, MasterCard, Discover, and Visa. There is a $3.95 charge for debit/credit card use under $160 and a 2.5% charge for credit card payments over $160. This charge is levied by the banks.
Summer Property Taxes
Summer property taxes are due no later than September 14th, unless the due date falls on a weekend, then they are due the next business day by 4:30 pm.
Winter Property Taxes
Winter property taxes are due no later than February 14th, unless the due date falls on a weekend, then they are due the next business day by 4:30 pm. After February 14th, there is a 3% penalty fee that will be charged. Payments are posted as received, not the date to which the check is written.
Obtaining a Paid Receipt
If you require a paid receipt, please view the following:
- To obtain by mail: In a self-addressed stamped envelop, please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelop and the entire bill, along with your check. We will stamp it paid and we'll mail it back.
- At the counter: Bring in the entire bill; we will stamp the bill paid when we process your payment.
- If you did not receive a tax bill, please call 734/394-5130. Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt you from penalties and interest.
- Tax bills are not forwarded. If you are going to be out of town during the tax season, please call our office. We can mail to your temporary address. You cannot pay your taxes before they are issued.
- Checks are accepted as a conditional payment, subject to clearing your bank. Check / payments returned as Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) will be charged $25. The taxes will not be paid until funds have been restored.
- If you find an error with your tax bill, please bring it in to our office or call us. We will investigate it and make it right!