Building & Inspection Services
Check Permit Status and Pay Fees Here Version OptionsBuilding & Inspection ServicesHeadline
PLEASE NOTE: Canton Township does not require an HOA Approval from local HOA's prior to issuing residential permits. It is the responsibility of the Permit Applicant and Property Owner to obtain all necessary approvals from their HOA's prior to any construction taking place.
Canton Township will not issue permit refunds for permits reviewed, issued and then cancelled due to HOA requirements.
Canton's Building Division is part of the Municipal Services Department. To learn more about MSD and what it does, visit here Version OptionsBuilding & Inspection ServicesHeadline.
Below are Building's most commonly requested documents:
- Building and Inspection Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Building Code Rules History (PDF)
- Choosing a Contractor - Handout (PDF)
- Construction Site Standards and Expectations (PDF)
- Zoning Board of Appeals Application (PDF)
- Plumbing Fee Schedule
- Mechanical Fee Schedule
- Electrical Fee Schedule
- Key Performance Indicators
- Permit Procedures for Soil Erosion and Sedimentaion Control
- Applicable Building Codes List
- 2024 Planning Commission, Township Board and Zoning Board of Appeals Meeting Schedule
- Commercial Plan Review Process
- Commercial Re-occupancy and Certificate of Re-occupancy Requirements
- Commercial Tenant Permit and Plan Review Information (PDF)
- Commercial Tenant Remodel or Build-out Plans Requirements (PDF)
- Commercial Wall and Ground Signs
- Letter of Agreement - Structural Test and Special Inspections (PDF)
- Procedures for Sidewalk Sales (PDF)
- Procedures for Special Event Applications (PDF)
- Commercial New Tenant - Interior Finish Plan Review Checklist
- Residential Addition Submittal Checklist
- Residential and Commercial Concrete or Paver Flatwork Plan Review Checklist
- Residential Concrete or Paver -Raised Porch-Plan Review Checklist
- Residential Deck Plan Review Checklist
- Residential Fence Plan Review Checklist
- Residential Pools & Hot Tub Plan Review Checklist
- Special Event- Sidewalk Sales Submittal Checklist
- 2015 MRC Chapter 11 (Energy Code) Changes (PDF)
- 26.02 Schedule of Regulations Agriculture and Residential Districts (PDF)
- Do I Need a Residential Building or Compliance Permit? (PDF)
- Emergency & Escape Openings (Egress Windows) - 2015 MRC Interpretation (PDF)
- Gas Piping/Gas Meter Sizing Worksheet
- Residential Finished Basement Specifications (PDF)
- Residential Finished Basement Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Plan Submittal Requirements for New Homes (PDF)
- Wood Deck Construction Guide (PDF)
Rental Program Contact: Lisa Meier, 734/394-5153
- A Practical Guide for Tenants and Landlords
- Checklist for a Compliant Rental Property (PDF)
- Rental Program - Apartment Information Packet (PDF)
- Rental Program - Single Family Home/Duplex/Condo Information Packet (PDF)
- Residential Rental Inspection Codes for Review (PDF)
- Residential Rental Inspection Home/Condo Heat Certificate (PDF)
- Residential Rental Inspection Multi-Family Heat Certificate (PDF)
- Residential Rental Inspection Ordinance (PDF)
- Residential Rental Registration Application (PDF)
Applicants can now see the status of their plan reviews via our online portal clicking the link above. After selecting the shortcut, enter the project address or permit number and the most recent application will be at the top of the list. The status can be seen here or for more detailed information select “permit status”. It is there that you can see the progress of individual reviews and inspection results.
Status categories are as follows:
Pending: Applications and plans have been distributed and are in queue to be reviewed
In Plan Check: Plans are actively being reviewed, individual reviews will be visible when completed
Returned for corrections: Once all reviews are complete, requested revisions are sent to the applicant via standard mail and /or email.
Awaiting processing: The plans have been approved and are waiting to be processed. Permit clerks will notify applicants by email and/or phone that the permit is ready for issuance. Outstanding permit fees are given at this time.
Issued: Permit has been issued. Permits will be mailed out if the application was received by mail.
*We try to review plans by the Estimated Completion Date but keep in mind it may change depending on the volume of applications submitted at any given time. (spring and summer months are the busiest.)
The Building and Inspection Services Division is responsible for ensuring that township standards for local building codes, ordinances, and construction are met. In 2015, staff launched the "Residential Rental Inspection Program" which involves inspecting rented units (about 2,000 homes and 8,000 apartment) in the community to ensure the health, safety and wellness of the tenants. The division also issues multiple fence, pool, plumbing, mechanical, compliance, electrical, and other miscellaneous permits.
Obtaining a Permit
Many home improvements require a building permit (PDF) from Canton's Building and Inspection Services Division. Before making any additions or improvements to property in the township, it is important to check if any permits are required for the project. The Master Deed or Covenants and Restrictions should also be checked, as there may be some restrictions that apply for a particular development.
Many homeowners' associations may also have an Architectural Review Committee that serves as the review board for any projects that affect the property. This committee usually requires a sketch of proposed projects for their review.
PLEASE NOTE: Canton Township does not require an HOA approval from local HOA'S prior to issuing residential permits. It is the responsibility of the permit applicant and property owner to obtain all necessary approvals from their HOA'S prior to any construction taking place. Canton Township will not issue permit refunds for permits reviewed, issued, and then cancelled due to HOA requirements.
Joseph UrbanekBuilding & Inspection Services Manager
Building & Inspection Services
1150 S. Canton Center Road
Canton, MI 48188
Phone: 734/394-5200Fax: 734/394-5166
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.