Canton Road Improvement Program
Canton Township is excited to begin the first year of repairs to the roads in our community using the funding from the approved Road Millage. The intent of the Canton Road Improvement Program is to provide flexibility year-to-year to match revenues from the millage to the prioritize projects.
2019 PRIMARY ROAD PROJECTS
AUGUST 9 UPDATE: The roads below are currently under construction. Please drive safely through the construction area and follow all posed detours:
- Canton Center Road (north of Gerald Court to Cherry Hill Road): Only one lane of northbound and southbound traffic will be maintained on Canton Center Road. Northbound left-turns onto westbound Cherry Hill Road will be permitted.
- Saltz Road (Sheldon to Lilley): Weather permitting, two-way traffic will reopen on Tuesday, August 6. Intermittent patching work will be done once the road is reopened.
- Hanford Road (Sheldon to Morton Taylor): One-way traffic will be maintained going westbound. The eastbound lane will be closed for construction. Weather permitting, construction is anticipated to be completed by next week.
- Hanford Road (Canton Center to Sheldon) - Beginning Monday, August 12, one-way traffic will be maintained going eastbound while the westbound lane be closed for construction. Weather permitting, construction is anticipated to be complete by the end of August.
- Morton Taylor Road (Arlington to Candlewood): FULL CLOSURE. Detour route will include Joy Road, Lilley Road, Warren Road and Sheldon Road. Weather permitting, Morton Taylor is anticipated to be fully open to traffic by late August.
- Lotz Road (Wildwood to Burlington, between Palmer and Cherry Hill): Now open. Contractor may utilize flaggers to maintain traffic while they continue to finish up restoration items.
- Beck Road (Madison to Cherry Hill): Beginning Monday, August 12, one-lane of northbound and southbound traffic will be maintained during working hours using a combination of traffic shifts and construction flaggers. Traffic will be restored to its normal lanes during non-working hours. Asphalt milling and resurfacing in this area will begin Monday, August 12. Weather permitting, the project will take approximately one week to complete.
Beck Road (Victorian Square to Chatterton): FULL CLOSURE to begin Monday, August 12. Detour route will include Geddes Road, Denton Road, Michigan Ave and Canton Center Road. Weather permitting, the road will reopen in two weeks.
Note that the FULL CLOSURES above still allow access to local traffic (those who live there or commercial businesses). Please call Engineering Services at 734/394-5150 if you have questions regarding access through the full closure routes for emergency services. It is our understanding that the contractor will doing the road half at a time within the closure.
In addition, Canton will also do preventative maintenance asphalt crack sealing at the following locations; Cherry Hill Road from Beck and Canton Center Roads; Warren Road from Morton Taylor and Lilley Roads; Palmer Road from Canton Center to Lilley Roads; and Beck Road from Cherry Hill to Ford Roads.
Canton will coordinate other planned construction project activities, such as watermain replacements, sanitary sewer repairs and sidewalk repairs with the work along the major roads to minimize disruption to the residents and efficiently complete all the work each year.
Any required improvements to meet the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements will be incorporated into these projects as required by law. The program on major roads will also include the completion of any pedestrian sidewalk gaps or pathways along the major roads being improved.
Wayne County has formally committed to not reduce any future reconstruction projects, nor reduce any maintenance and repair activities currently being performed on the major County road network as a result of the investment by Canton in these supplemental projects.
2019 Local County Subdivision Roads
Beginning the week of July 22, unmatched work on local subdivision roads will be done north of Ford Road and will address catch basin and drainage fixes as well as asphalt crack and concrete joint sealing. This work will not require any road closure or detour routes. Detailed information on work being done can be found by visiting the links below. Unmatched work will continue in 2020 in subdivisions south of Ford Road.
- 2019 Overall Location Map of Unmatched Work Opens a New Window.
- 2019 Detailed Location Map of Unmatched Work Opens a New Window.
Matched work will not begin until 2020. Canton is now soliciting project ideas from Homeowner Associations and other interested resident groups to participate in 2020 and beyond. Learn more about the local match program and download the application Opens a New Window. .
2019 State Roads
The Ford Road Boulevard project is also moving forward. MDOT will award the contract to for the Design Consultant this year. Once the design is complete, right-of-way acquisition will begin and public meetings on the project will begin. Information will be posted on this project as it becomes available.
What about the potholes?
Funds generated from the road millage will not be going toward routine County or State maintenance activities (i.e. the filling of potholes, snowplowing, etc.). That work will continue to be done by Wayne County. The millage funds will be used for very specific capital projects, the tentative list of which for 2019 can be seen here.
Additionally, the millage increase will appear on December tax bills, which means funds will not be available until January at the earliest. Residents can expect some projects to begin in the spring of 2019.
Calculate Your Estimated Additional Cost
To determine your estimated additional cost of this Road Millage, multiply your home's taxable value by .00145.
Enter your home's taxable value: $